Sunday 8 January 2017

Lessons learnt from my interviews


I have attempted two academic interviews and about four scholarship interviews, but I’m sorry to inform you that I have only succeeded in one of the academic interview. These are the things I think I could have done better resulted from my own reflection and post-mortem of my failed interviews. So they may be inaccurate and even wrong, but anyways, these are some of the lessons I learnt:

1. Bring pen and paper into the room
- Seems obvious, but it’s the deadly mistake I committed in my first scholarship interview
- Using pen and paper enable me to organise my thoughts before I answer. Some of the interviewers prefer a well thought out answer rather than just a prompt answer.
- My first scholarship interview is a report-type interview while the academic ones are discussion based interview
- Also don’t forget to bring your documents too

2. Prepare for the ending question: “Do you have any question for us?”
- “Yes! When will the result of this interview be released? What do you think of my interview performance? How can I do better?”

3. Confront with your anxiety
- “Yes, I’m nervous. I want to secure the scholarship but I afraid they won’t offer one.”
- Think of the worst case scenario: fail to secure the scholarship.
- Interview process involves some selling and buying for two party: you and the scholarship foundation/school. Remember: you are not begging for money. You are here to prove them you worth the amount of money invested on you. Sell like a salesman: don’t be too eager to speak or give all in, nor should you be too hesitate to answer them. Cut to the chase – no nonsense!

I have a feeling that the scholarship interviewers treat it as a job interview while the academic interviewers test you as the first-year undergraduate. So please prepare it accordingly.

For job interview:
1. "Want to get hired? Get that interview" by Kirby W. Stanat
[http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1977/02/13/page/407/article/want-to-get-hired-get-that-interview]
2. "It's don'ts that count most in job interviews" by Kirby W. Stanat
[http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1977/02/20/page/469/article/its-donts-that-count-most-in-job-interviews]
3. "Job-hunting secret -- your personal chemistry is vital" by Kirby W. Stanat and Patrick Reardon
[http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1977/02/27/page/465/article/job-hunting-secret-your-personal-chemistry-is-vital]
4. "'Homework's' the key to scoring with job recruiter" by Kirby W. Stanat with Patrick Reardon
[http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1977/03/06/page/347/article/homeworks-the-key-to-scoring-with-job-recruiter]
5. "Job seekers over 50 must make strong points work" by Kirby W. Stanat with Patrick Reardon
[http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1977/03/13/page/377/article/job-seekers-over-50-must-make-strong-points-work]
6. "You really want that job? Stride in the front door" by Kirby W. Stanat with Patrick Reardon
[http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1977/03/20/page/396/article/you-really-want-that-job-stride-in-the-front-door]

For academic interview:
1. Read the course content of that university
2. Explore the undergraduate course topics, like see what’s taught in CS100
a. To show that you are enthusiast about that subject
3. Get ready for the interview

No comments:

Post a Comment