Sunday 8 January 2017

My UCAS Personal Statement


Since young, I was intrigued by things around me, and would fiddle with objects like a TV remote control, trying out all the buttons one by one. As one would expect, I usually messed up with the settings and got myself into trouble. But that didn't kill my curiosity. Instead, it grew with time and manifests in my curiosity to read engineering.

As a young boy, my first realization about the "brain" of all the electrical devices is just a board of chips had left me in awe, and piqued my interest to understand the underlying electronics. Years later, my encounter with Ubuntu has also opened my eyes, showing me how much control users can have over their computers and all the possibilities that computers can accomplish. Combining these interests to understand the hardware and software, and get the best of two worlds from the electronics engineering and computer science field, I am aspired to pursue the interdisciplinary course: electronic and information engineering.

However, in order to leverage the power of technology to my advantage, a good mastery of both Physics and Mathematics is needed. Fortunately, solving Mathematics problems often offers satisfaction to me, especially when the "Eureka!" moment hits me after a long thought on a challenging problem. To push myself to the limit, I decided to sit for the Further Mathematics exam although it's out of the school subject options. As materials are scattered around different books and sometimes outside the scope of all the books used, I spent a considerably amount of time resourcing in the Internet to search for additional open materials, such as university lecture videos and class notes; and explanations to clear my doubts. That was a tough period of time, but looking back, it turned out to be a precious experience and opportunity for me to grow and prepare for university, where researching skills and independent study skills are emphasized. 

Besides, my team-working skills and leadership qualities are demonstrated as a brass band leader and a senior prefect in school. Being one of them and going through a lot of events, like prefect sport-checks, band concerts and marching competitions, I realized the power of one in contributing to the overall success, because a trumpet alone can never perform a symphony. As a student councillor board treasurer and the organizing joint-chairperson for the school orientation, my organizational skills were also put to test, while finding out how cooperation not only between committees, but also with students and school staffs are important in organizing a successful event and overcoming difficulties.

Only last August, I was given a chance by my institute Chief Executive Officer to give a motivation talk to the fifth form students who are going to sit for the public exam. It was the first time I delivered a serious talk, and it was really challenging to make it informative and interesting at the same time, but I still did my best, seeing it as an enlightening experience to top up my presentation skills. I shared with them my reasons for taking A-Level here and how I studied and prepared for exams using the method which I believe is effective and efficient.

In this gap year, at first I wanted to gain some industrial experience in my field of study, but due to the limited job vacancy at my hometown, I shall be working as my A-Level Head of Department assistant, helping in the laboratory experiments preparation and doing some paper work. It is also my intention, during the year, to provide guidance to my juniors who want to take Further Mathematics too, while using my leisure time to gain deeper insights into the field.

To sum up, surfing the tsunami of technological innovation and bringing new ideas alive into the world are what I'm passionate about. Science has taught what is, and maths has equipped me with the tools; now I'd like to combine them with my creativity to create what never was. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment