Sunday 8 January 2017

Personal Statement for Application to the University of Southampton, Malaysia Campus


Ranked as one of the top universities, University of Southampton is one of the best places in the world to study electronic and electrical engineering. With the new campus built in Malaysia, I can attend lectures delivered by professors from University of Southampton in my own country. This means that I can use the same quality lab and utilities as in the UK campus for a lower price due to the different currency exchange rate and living expenses. Of course I'm in for that.

Since young, I enjoy learning Science and Mathematics. Through science, I understand how things work, be it a natural phenomenon, a chemical reaction or a biological response. My understanding does not diminish the aesthetic pleasure I get from looking into them directly on observation, instead it also reveals the hidden rhythm and pattern between the phenomena of nature which is not apparent to the eye, but only to the eye of analysis. Through Mathematics, not only do I learn to express my understanding in a concise and systematic way, but also use this powerful tool to connect and organize my thoughts and ideas logically. For my interest in science and maths, I took part in many competitions and assessments throughout my primary and secondary school years and got a few distinctions. So, I pursue a career that uses both science and mathematics.

During my leisure time, I spend time on catching up with technology news as I believe the ability to leverage the power of computer is crucial in the technological future. I usually visit websites, like Hacker News, Make Use Of and Medium, and find them not only informative but sometimes enlightening as their articles cover a variety of topic. Amongst them all, my favourite type of article is the how-to article because they are very practical and, most of the time, easy to do. As my time spent on electronic devices increased substantially over years, my interest in them goes far beyond than just wanting to use them on daily basic. I, too, want to know how they work. For that reason, I would like to further my study with a degree course that combines these subjects. I choose to study electronic and electrical engineering.

But, what makes me stand out from all the other bright applicants? Well, I dare not say I am smarter, but I am indeed an inquisitive person who likes to ask questions and wish to know more. Moreover, I am not afraid of making mistakes. I learn from trials and errors because,

No comments:

Post a Comment